Austria Province of Vorarlberg
State of Vorarlberg Tourist Information, Hotel Accommodation and Travel Guide
Vorarlberg is the most western state in Austria. It is the second smallest state with a territory of 2 601sq km and is bounded by Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and the state Tyrol. The population of the state is 372 791 people and they all speak in a very distinctive dialect, different from the ones in the other parts of Austria.
Vorarlberg is separated into four districts - Bregenz, Bludenz, Feldkirch and Dornbirn. The capital of the state is Bregenz and the other large cities include Dornbirn, Hohenems, Feldkirch and Bludenz.
The biggest rivers are Ill, the Rhine, the Bregenzer Ach and the Dornbirner Ach. The biggest lakes include the Lake of Constance, Lüner Lake, Silvretta Lake, Vermunt Lake, Spuller Lake and Formarin Lake. The Lüner Lake is the biggest mountain lake in the Alps. The most famous mountain ranges in the state are the Silvretta, the Rätikon, the Verwall and the Arlberg. The highest peak in Vorarlberg is in the Piz Buin mountain and it is 3 312 m high, surrounded by glaciers.
Here is a list of interesting places in Vorarlberg:
- Castles – Burgruine Sonnenberg, Ruin Tosters with church St. Corneli and Ruin Alt-Ems;
- Churches – Dalaas Church, Evangelische Kreuzkirche, Mariahilf parish church and more;
- Monuments – Bezegg-Sul, Jodok Fink Monument, Monument of Anton-Schneider and others;
- Museums – Alpine Museum, Bezau Local Heritage Museum, Dornbirn Natural History Museum and so on;
- Nature reserves – "Gargellen window", Gletschertopf Moorbiotop Gasserplatz and Naturparadies Hinteres Silbertal;
- Nature trails – Braz Nature Trail, Geological training track, Lawinendokumentation and others;
- Plus chapels, galleries, historic buildings, waterfalls, zoos, planetariums, gorges and many more.
Due to the many mountains, Vorarlberg has also very well-developed ski resorts, the most famous of which include Bregenzerwald, the Arlberg region, Brandnertal and Montafon. Here is a list of a small number of the ski areas that the state offers: Skilifte Warth GmbH, Niedere ski area, Bergbahnen Diedamskopf, Dorflift, Hittisberg, Ifenblick-Lifte, Lifts in Alberschwende, Pfänder mountain, Schilifte Raggal, Silvretta Nova, Sonnenkopf, Warth & Schröcken and many more.
Most Popular Cities in Voralberg